As a result of expansion and restructuring the award winning Epping Ongar Railway has a vacancy for a General Manager to be responsible for the daily management of the railway on behalf of the Board.
This position reflects the continued growth and success of Epping Ongar Railway since it opened in 2012.
Among the future challenges will be the commercial and marketing activities of the Epping Ongar Railway together with the re-linking of the railway to the rail network at Epping.
To undertake the lead managerial role on the railway and to be responsible to the Board of EOR for the day to day operation of the railway at all levels.
• Operate a safe railway.
• Motivate staff at all levels – paid and volunteers – and to understand, develop and maximise the volunteer ethos.
• Operate a profitable railway.
• To be an effective communicator.
• Act as the Line Manager for all Departmental Managers.
In addition to a strong proven record in those areas of management, evidence of management experience or commitment as a volunteer in the heritage sector would be desirable but not essential.
Working Hours – Nominally 40 hours per week. There will be a requirement for some shift working, weekend and Bank Holiday working. Working hours will be subject to Safety Critical Health and Safety procedures.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Closing date for applications 31st August 2014
Please send applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
See below for more detail.
General Manager (GM)
The GM is the most senior employee of the Epping Ongar Railway Ltd
The role of the GM is to be responsible for the daily management of the Epping Ongar Railway as set down by the Board. In addition to the usual management responsibilities a key measure of the GM’s success will be evidence of his ability to continuously get the best out of the staff, whether paid or volunteer, given that the viability of the railway is dependent on their continued loyalty and commitment.
It is likely that the major challenges facing a successful candidate will be of a commercial nature and marketing the railway – together with the challenges of re-linking the railway to the rail network at Epping.
The Epping Ongar Railway is wholly owned by the parent company Epping Ongar Railway Ltd. The GM shall report directly to the Board with a solid reporting line down to the Heads of Department.
Financial limits to the authority of the GM shall be set by the Board. The GM shall be an authorised signatory for the Company, subject to the limits as above.
- To implement the policies of the board on a day-to-day basis, ensuring that safety remains the top priority of the Epping Ongar Railway at all times.
- To identify and refer matters of policy for review by the Board.
- To be responsible for the day-to-day management of the Epping Ongar Railway, including the management of staff both paid and volunteers, within the budgets and constraints set by the Board including Health and Safety.
- To liaise with relevant Directors and Heads of Department as and when necessary.
- To maintain effective day-to-day communications within the Epping Ongar Railway and with neighbours and other parties as required.
- To encourage and promote the cultivation, motivation and enthusing of all staff whether paid or volunteer and to maintain, enhance and develop the congenial culture of the Epping Ongar Railway.
- To ensure that departmental procedures as approved by the Board are adhered to.
- To be responsible for the efficient administration of the Epping Ongar Railway’s affairs
- To assist and support the Board in the development of budgets and business plans as required.
- To devise and implement after agreement of the Board coherent retail, marketing and catering policies