Epping Ongar Railway are delighted to announce that it has agreed the purchase of set 1498, one of the “heritage” 3CIG units that were recently withdrawn from use on the Lymington branch.
These 3 coach heritage units were built between 1964 and 1972 to a similar design to British Railways Mk1 coaches. These last pair of units left in regular mainline service with traditional slam doors were retained to work the Lymington branch (hence gaining their nickname “Lymmy Slammers”) they were the pride of Eastleigh works and kept in excellent condition, each unit being restored to heritage colours, and fitted with improved disabled wheelchair provision. This unit was named “Farringford” at Brockenhurst on 12th May 2005 to celebrate its restoration into heritage colours.
Unit 1498 has been restored to its former BR Green livery, and it is intended that this unit will be used on the Epping-Ongar branch, being hauled by the lines diesels. The unit will also join, resident Diesel Electric multiple unit “Thumper” 205205, which is also preserved on the line.